This course can be tailored to your needs for private, onsite delivery at your location.
Adobe InDesign CC software speaks the language of professional designers, delivering unparalleled creative freedom, productivity, and precision for designing superb pages. It works seamlessly with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, providing a single integrated design environment that doesn't interrupt your creative process.
This 3-day introductory course provides a thorough overview of the interface, the tools, the features, and the production tips for page layout and design using InDesign. The course is an ideal combination of instructor-led demonstration and hands-on practice of InDesign basics.
- Upcoming Dates and Locations
Guaranteed To Run
- Course Outline
Lesson 1: Introducing the Workspace
- Looking at the workspace
- Working with panels
- Customizing the workspace
- Changing the magnification of a document
- Navigating through a document
- Using context menus
- Modifying Interface preferences
- Exploring on your own
Lesson 2: Getting to Know InDesign
- Viewing guides
- Preflighting as you work
- Adding text
- Working with styles
- Working with graphics
- Working with objects
- Working with object styles
- Viewing the document in Presentation mode
- Exploring on your own
Lesson 3: Setting Up a Document and Working with Pages
- Creating and saving custom document settings
- Creating a new document
- Switching between open InDesign documents
- Working with master pages
- Applying master pages to document pages
- Adding new document pages
- Rearranging and deleting document pages
- Changing the size of pages
- Adding sections to change page numbering
- Overriding master page items on document pages and placing text and graphics
- Viewing the completed spread
- Exploring on your own
Lesson 4: Working with Objects
- Working with layers
- Creating and modifying text frames
- Creating and modifying graphics frames
- Adding metadata captions to graphics frames
- Placing and linking graphics frames
- Changing the shape of a frame
- Wrapping text around a graphic
- Modifying the shape of frames
- Transforming and aligning objects
- Selecting and modifying grouped objects
- Creating a QR code
- Finishing up
Lesson 5: Flowing Text
- Flowing text into an existing frame
- Flowing text manually
- Creating text frames while flowing text
- Flowing text automatically
- Creating threaded frames automatically
- Resizing text frames automatically
- Adding a jump line page number
- Exploring on your own
Lesson 6: Editing Text
- Finding and changing a missing font
- Entering and importing text
- Finding and changing text and formatting
- Checking spelling
- Editing text by dragging and dropping
- Using the Story Editor
- Tracking changes
Lesson 7: Working with Typography
- Adjusting vertical spacing
- Changing fonts and type styles
- Fine-tuning columns
- Changing paragraph alignment
- Creating a drop cap
- Adjusting letter and word spacing
- Adjusting line breaks
- Setting tabs
- Adding a rule above a paragraph
Lesson 8: Working with Color
- Managing color
- Defining printing requirements
- Creating and applying colors
- Working with gradients
- Creating a tint
- Creating a spot color
- Applying colors to text and objects
- Using advanced gradient techniques
Lesson 9: Working with Styles
- Creating and applying paragraph styles
- Creating and applying character styles
- Nesting character styles inside paragraph styles
- Creating and applying object styles
- Creating and applying table and cell styles
- Globally updating styles
- Loading styles from another document
Lesson 10: Importing and Modifying Graphics
- Adding graphics from other programs
- Comparing vector and bitmap graphics
- Managing links to imported files
- Updating revised graphics
- Adjusting display quality
- Working with clipping paths
- Working with alpha channels
- Importing native Adobe graphics files
- Using a library to manage objects
- Using Adobe Bridge to import graphics
Lesson 11: Printing and Exporting
- Preflighting files
- Packaging files
- Creating an Adobe PDF proof
- The Workspace: Review the workspaces. Learn about the panels. Customize the workspace. Change the magnification of a document. Navigate through a document. Learn about the context menus vs. keyboard shortcuts. Modifying preferences of the application.
- Overview of InDesign: Preflighting as you work. Create a inDesign file: Add text, use styles, add graphics, and then view the document in Presentation mode.
- Setup a Document and Work with Pages: Create and save custom document settings. Create a new document. Switch between open InDesign documents. Learn to create and apply master pages to a document. Change the size of pages. Add sections to change page numbering. Override master page items on document pages and placing text and graphics. View the completed spread. Work with Objects: Work with layers. Create and modify text frames. Create and modify graphics frames. Add metadata captions to graphics frames. Place and link graphics frames. Change the shape of a frame. Use a text wrap. Transform and aligning objects. Select and modifying grouped objects. Create a QR code.
- Flowing Text: Flow text into an existing frame. Flow text manually. Use Auto flow, semi auto flow and fixed auto flow. Create threaded frames automatically and resize a text frame automatically. Add a jump line page number.
- Editing Text: Find and change a missing font. Enter and import text. Find and change text and formatting. Checking and fix spelling as well as add words to the dictionary. Edit text by dragging and dropping. Use the Story Editor. Learn to track your changes.
- Work with Typography: Refine type: adjust vertical spacing, change fonts & type styles, fine-tune columns, change paragraph alignment, create a drop cap, adjust letter & word spacing, adjust line breaks, set tabs, and add a rule above a paragraph.
- Color: Learn to managing color: Defining printing requirements, creating & applying colors, create & change gradients, create tints & spot colors, and apply colors to text and objects.
- Styles: Creating and applying paragraph styles, character styles, object styles, cell styles, and table styles. Globally update styles and load styles from another document.
- Importing and Modifying Graphics: Add graphics from other programs. Compare vector and bitmap graphics. Manage links to imported files. Update revised graphics. Adjust display quality for viewing. Use clipping paths and alpha channels. Import native Adobe graphics files. Use the bridge and library to manage and import objects.
- Printing and Exporting: Preflighting files, packaging files, and creating an Adobe PDF proof.
- Who should attend
This course is perfect for professional designers who are new to InDesign.
Prerequisites for this Captivate 8 Training Course
- Practical working knowledge of computers and basic Mac OS X or Windows skills.
- Photoshop Fundamentals: An Introduction to Photoshop class or equivalent experience is recommended.
Computer Labs Needed/Technical Specs:
- Windows: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 processor, Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, 8 GB of RAM, 10 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; 1280 x 800 display with 32-bit video card; Adobe® Flash® Player 10 software, Internet connection.
- Mac OS: Multicore Intel processor, Mac OS X v10.9 or v10.10, 4 GB of RAM, 10 GB of available hard-disk space, 1280 x 800 display with 32-bit video card, Adobe® Flash® Player 10 software, Internet connection.
- Adobe CC: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign.