This course can be tailored to your needs for private, onsite delivery at your location.
ASPE is an IIBA Endorsed Education Provider of business analysis training. Select Project Delivery courses offer IIBA continuing development units (CDU) in accordance with IIBA standards.
NASBA continuing professional education credits (CPE) assist Certified Public Accountants in reaching their continuing education requirements.
This course offers 16.00 NASBA CPEs.
Select courses offer Leadership (PDU-L), Strategic (PDU-S) and Technical PMI professional development units that vary according to certification. Technical PDUs are available in the following types: ACP, PBA, PfMP, PMP/PgMP, RMP, and SP.
This course offers:
14.00 PMP/PgMP Technical PDUs
The configuration management and data center automation tool that streamlines every step of IT service delivery, Puppet allows you to provision physical and virtual machines, orchestrate configuration management and develop, test and deploy code faster. Designed to easily automate repetitive and error-prone system administration tasks, Puppet's declarative language allows you to state how your systems should be configured to do their jobs. It's easy to quickly set up systems in a reliable and repeatable way.
This course demonstrates the complete Puppet configuration management system, and how it can be used to build and scale reliable infrastructure for your own environments. As a continuous hands-on lab intensive course, students will build a fully functional infrastructure using Puppet. By the end of this course you will have a solid understanding and hands-on experience with Puppet, and the knowledge to integrate Puppet into your own operations workflow.
- Upcoming Dates and Locations
All Live Online times are listed in Eastern Time Guaranteed To Run
- Course Outline
Part 1: Intro to DevOps
- Why DevOps
- Overview of Puppet
- Puppet Enterprise vs Open Source
Lab: Using the Puppet Console, adding nodes and classes
- How Puppet uses resources for configuration management
- Developing Puppet resources
- Conditional statements
- Built-in resource types
- Description of resources – resource types, titles, and body
- Core resource types
- Inspecting resources
Lab: Developing Puppet resources, applying resources to nodes
Part 2: Classes
- Understanding Puppet classes
- Manifests with Classes
- Class Inheritance
Part 3: Architecture
- Sizing Puppet Master
- Differences between Monolithic and Split Puppet architectures
- Puppet Agent
Lab: Manifests and Classes: Create class definitions, validate class syntax and apply to Puppet nodes
- Understand how Puppet reports Facts and the Catalog
- Installing modules from the Forge
- Searching the Forge from CLI and web
- Using the Puppet Module command
- Types and Providers
Lab: Modules, module path structure, and testing
Lab: NTP configuring nodes and class parameters
Lab: MySQL: Using Puppet to configure MySQL databases, users, and services
Part 4: Variables
- Using variables in Puppet
- Writing Puppet code without repeating
- Writing Classes with parameters
- Using the facter tool with modules and classes
Lab: Variables and Parameters: learn how to assign variables in a manifest, create classes with parameters
Part 5: Hiera
- Description and uses for Hiera
- Code reusability
- Access control with Git, LDAP, Jenkins
Lab: Installing and Using Hiera
Part 6: Conditional Statements
- Understand and use these conditional statements:
Lab: Conditional Statements: Using conditional statements in resources and modules.
Part 7: Advanced Topics
- Using R10K to manage modules
- Creating custom modules
- Next steps
Lab: Resource ordering: Ensure the correct order of modules and classes
Lab: Defined resource types: Create new resource types
- Who should attend
- IT Managers and Leaders
- Developers and Application Teams
- System Administrators
- IT Operations Staff
- Release Engineers
- Configuration Managers
- Anyone involved with IT infrastructure
- Software Managers and Team Leads
- Bonus Materials
The workshop includes O'Reilly's comprehensive text on Puppet tooling: Learning Puppet by Jussi Heinonen. This text from Heinonen, plus your classroom guide, will serve as invaluable references back at work.
You will need a computer to set up and use Puppet in class.