Name: Mark Arnts, CSM, PMP, PMI-ACP
Primary Expertise: Agile practices, public sector software, business analysis, project/application/ operations management, software process auditing
Education/Credentials: BA, Brigham Young University, Project Management Professional (PMP, from the Project Management Institute), Lean Six Sigma Green Belt, Certified ScrumMaster (from the Scrum Alliance). ICP: APM, BVA, TST, ACC
Notable Clients & Employers:
- Department of Defense
- Veteran’s Administration
- State of Montana
- Dow Jones
- Master Card
ASPE’s Mark Arntz, CSM, PMP, PMI-ACP is an IT industry professional with more than 25 years of experience in project management, application management, software development, business analysis, operations management, and more.
Mark specializes in helping teams in government and public sector organizations solve the specific challenges of these environments. He has taught numerous agencies and organizations how to adapt and adopt Agile practices in the government, including specific trouble areas such as acquisition, contracting, compliance and regulatory issues. He has taught Agile boot camps and workshops to government groups including: DoD, VA, FCC, Voice of America, State of Montana, Saskatchewan Gov’t Insurance, Insurance Corp of British Columbia, and other organizations that work as government contractors.
Mark earned his undergraduate degree at Brigham Young University, is a certified Project Management Professional (PMP), an Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP), Six Sigma Green Belt, and CSM with 25+ years of experience in information systems development and support. His background has consistently emphasized the implementation of SDLC methodologies & other project management tools. He is experienced in Agile, the Capability Maturity Model, Lean, and Six Sigma. He is passionate about teaching and mentoring others to help them reach their full potential.
As an Agile Instructor and Software Development Expert:
Since becoming a professional SDLC trainer, Mark has trained thousands of developers and project teams in both the public and private sectors. Mark focuses on building team skills in Agile practices, software development methods, and program management. Prior to becoming a trainer, Mark had a stellar career working for a number of world-class enterprise software operations. Starting as an OS/2 programmer working with C, SQL, OS/2 API and Presentation Manager API, he rapidly progressed to leading teams and building innovation into the projects for which he was responsible. Throughout his career he has been known for his ability to write well, having been a major contributor to proposals, statements of work and design documentation. His work as a programmer, business analyst and technical writer was the foundation for his later roles as a team leader, trainer and enterprise software coach.
Since his early years as a key individual contributor, Mark has grown into an experienced presenter and public speaker both in professional and private settings. He is proficient in teaching teams how to design results-oriented system specifications for both internal and external applications. He is experienced with all aspects of project management, chiefly in the software application development environment but also extending to IT infrastructure. He teaches classes for ASPE in Agile practices including: Agile Boot Camp, Transitioning from Waterfall to Agile, Agile PMI-ACP Certification, Agile Project
- At ASPE, Mark has trained and coached hundreds of SDLC team members at large government agencies and top Fortune companies on Agile practices and Scrum techniques, helping them either transition from waterfall methods or increase the effectiveness of existing Agile teams
- As a Service Delivery Manager in Salt Lake city, Mark was instrumental in generating new business in the Salt Lake City market by acquiring and then expanding a major account from an initial team of five consultants to 60 computer technology professionals for an estimated $6.2m revenue and $1.2m profit
- At Affiliated Computer Systems (ACS, now Xerox) Mark was responsible for the MetLife Division; assigned due to the client’s high requirements for rigorous processes and IT governance
- At ACS Mark was later responsible for all aspects of a business process outsourcing division that was accountable for processing health claims, and leading the operations team to qualify for President’s Club based on exceeding financial objectives by 10%
- Also at ACS, he created offshore development groups in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and Bangalore, India
- At Exstream Software (now HP) Mark was part of the core R&D management team, responsible for managing ad-hoc product enhancements, outsourced requirements, data connectors, internal development projects, and AFP Product Suite development
- At Lexmark, responsible for completing Lean/Six Sigma improvement projects in the Software Solutions area. He was also a member of the area leadership team for Value Stream Mapping and Kaizen project guidance
- Also at Lexmark, Mark was responsible for re-architecting data models used to track and analyze Level 4 technical support problems related to Lexmark printing solutions
- Programming and Software Development, from code building to product and team leadership
- Agile and Scrum software development practices, teambuilding and implementation
- Project and Program Management
- Business Development and Service Delivery Management
- Close work with C-level executives to inform and influence decisions for investment, change and participation
- Mapping stakeholder needs and business requirements to final product execution
- CMMi, Lean Six Sigma, PMI PMBOK