In my first post regarding Information Management Policies, I defined the policies, how they are used, and the different options for applying the policies. In this post I will discuss defining policies at the Site Collection level, which can then be used as published policies within the Site Collection.
An organization will first determine what policies need to be defined, and then the scope of those policies. In this example, we will define a retention policy which can be used within the Site Collection.
- From the top-level site in a Site Collection, Open Settings > Site Settings
- Under Site Collection Administration, select Content Type Policy Templates
- Click Create
- Give your policy a name, administrative description, and policy statement. It’s important to define the policy statement as this is displayed to your users.
- For a retention policy template, click the check box beside Enable Retention
- Select Add a retention stage
- Select This stage is based off a date property on the item
- Set to Created Date + 1 years
- Select Move to recycle bin
- Click OK
This policy can now be used when creating Content Types to define a retention policy on those content types.
In my next blog post, we will define a content type using this “Employee Information Policy”.