Most companies are recognizing the value of the IIBA's Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) certification. CBAPs not only bring value and expertise to their organizations, but to the industry as a whole. Learn what CBAP certification is, how it's obtained and maintained, and how to prepare for the exam.
Go straight to info about our CBAP Certification Prep Boot Camp Training.
There is a three step process to achieving the CBAP Certification:
- Past Training
- Passing an Exam
There are two parts to the process:
- Part One: The CBAP application
- Part Two: The CBAP exam
For Part One, the CBAP application, the requirements are:
- Minimum 7500 hours of BA work experience aligned with the BABOK Guide in the last ten years
- Minimum 900 hours in four of the six knowledge areas (see chart below)
- Minimum 21 hours of Professional Development in the past four years
- Two references from a career manager, client, or CBAP recipient
- Signed Code of Conduct
- Minimum of a high school degree or equivalent
CBAP Certification Process
Here is the process you must follow and some helpful details to help you successfully gain the CBAP certification:
BABOK Guide Knowledge Areas
|Knowledge Areas||Work Experience that Qualifies||Work Experience that does NOT Qualify|
Business Analysis Planning and Monitoring
|Requirements Management and Communication||
|Solution Assessment and Validation||
What you need to know about the CBAP application and renewal process
- You have one year to take the CBAP examination after application approval. You can retake the CBAP exam one time during that year.
- The CBAP certification needs to be renewed every three years.
- The IIBA has the right to revoke any CBAP certification at any time due to misuse or misconduct of the CBAP logo. Those CBAP recipients whose certification has been revoked can reapply for CBAP certification for a period of time.
Summary of Fees
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||$125||$125|
|Exam Cancellation Fee (CBT)||$50||$50|
|Exam Cancellation Fee (Paper-based)||$55||$55|
|Exam Re-write Fee||$250||$375|
|Exam Re-scoring Fee||$65||$65|
CBAP Exam Content Overview
CBAP Exam Blueprint
|Knowledge Area||Percent of Questions|
|Business Analysis and Monitoring||19.33%|
|Requirements Management and Communication||16%|
|Solution Assessment and Validation||16%|
- IIBA must receive the CBAP recipient's recertification application package and payment by their certification expiration date.
- The current renewal fee for IIBA members is $85 and $120 for non-members.
- Please see the CBAP Recertification Handbook for more information on CBAP recertification.
Application Fee: $125
120 multiple-choice, case study-based questions over 3.5 hours proctored at Prometric testing facility
Minimum of 7,500 hours business analysis experience in the last 10 years
35 hours of IIBA approved training in the last 4 years
|Other Requirement Details||
Two references (http://www.iiba.org/certification-handbook/reference-requirements.htm)
IIBA Member: $85