This course can be tailored to your needs for private, onsite delivery at your location.
ASPE is an IIBA Endorsed Education Provider of business analysis training. Select Project Delivery courses offer IIBA continuing development units (CDU) in accordance with IIBA standards.
Select courses offer Leadership (PDU-L), Strategic (PDU-S) and Technical PMI professional development units that vary according to certification. Technical PDUs are available in the following types: ACP, PBA, PfMP, PMP/PgMP, RMP, and SP.
This one-day product owner training course dives into all things product owner by helping current and future PO’s understand their significant place within agile product teams. Participants gain an understanding how product management, discovery, and validation practices fuel product success and agility.
They also learn strategies for leading teams from this position of influence versus authority.
Unlike traditional training, this course challenges participants to listen, practice, and even question these methods. Our instructors use real-life experiences to help explain both successes and failures they have seen while working as a product owners and product coaches.
You'll Learn How To:
- Upcoming Dates and Locations
All Live Online times are listed in Eastern Time Guaranteed To Run
- Course Outline
Part 1: Product Journey – Where are we going?
- From project to product
- The concept of “product ownership”
- Product roadmaps – Who? What? Why?
- Balancing competing interests
- Charting a course for “Product Agility”
Part 2: The Role of the Product Owner
- Before agile… after agile…
- How do you build great PO’s?
- Technical skills
- Soft skills
- Flavors of PO’s
- The order taker dilemma
- Building balanced PO teams
- Working with other players on the product team
Part 3: Blending Product Discovery and Delivery
- Roadmap -> Backlog -> Work Item
- Early discovery – When? Why? How?
- Release cadence
- From concept to journeys
- Discovery/Delivery cadence
- What? Why? How?
- Sprint cadence
- From journeys to stories and tests
- “How big?” to “Too big?”
- Want more from your team? Build a better backlog
- Incremental investment, measuring impact, and adjusting
- How much involvement is too much or too little?
- The opportunity to play out real-life scenarios is sprinkled throughout the above content. Participants are provided a scenario and work in groups to determine what course of action they would take as product owners at various levels of the organization. We discuss options and outcomes as a group and then share how the story ended out in the wild.
- Participants are also be afforded the opportunity to propose their own scenarios for discussion within the workshop content.
- Who should attend
People working in product roles and those interested in learning more about how those roles work in agile product teams, including:
- Product owners
- Product managers
- Business analysts
- Technical product managers
- User experience designers
- Scrum masters
It is recommended participants take ASPE's Introduction to Agile or have a baseline of Agile knowledge before attending.