This course can be tailored to your needs for private, onsite delivery at your location.
ASPE is an IIBA Endorsed Education Provider of business analysis training. Select Project Delivery courses offer IIBA continuing development units (CDU) in accordance with IIBA standards.
Select courses offer Leadership (PDU-L), Strategic (PDU-S) and Technical PMI professional development units that vary according to certification. Technical PDUs are available in the following types: ACP, PBA, PfMP, PMP/PgMP, RMP, and SP.
Conflict in business is all too familiar—particularly under increased business pressures. Still, most of us lack basic conflict management skills. Rather than react to conflict on a purely emotional level, you can learn how to manage disputes and disagreements in a positive manner, or even avoid them altogether. This conflict management training will show you how to recognize the causes of interpersonal conflict. It emphasizes skills to help you critically evaluate conflict situations and then choose the appropriate strategies and tools to manage and/or resolve these conflicts. You’ll develop greater awareness of your emotional triggers and how to control them. In addition, you will learn how to continually action-plan around the implementation of your new skills.
- Upcoming Dates and Locations
All Live Online times are listed in Eastern Time Guaranteed To Run
- Course Outline
Part 1: Developing Conflict Awareness
- Recognizing the difference between disagreement and conflict
- Understanding the five levels of a conflict
- Exploring barriers to conflict management and resolution
Part 2: Responding to Conflict
- Identifying your own feelings and actions in response to conflict
- Applying the P-U-R-R Model to demonstrate understanding
- Utilizing the validating process
- Distinguishing between listening for thoughts and listening for feelings
Part 3: The Role of Trust in Minimizing Conflict
- Describing the 4 Cs as the cornerstones of building trust
- Knowing how trust is lost and regained, and how transparency validates trust
- Identifying interests behind positions
Part 4: Conflict Strategies
- Identifying your preferred strategies for responding to conflict
- Understanding the five conflict strategies
- Exploring appropriate strategies to minimize/manage conflict
Part 5: Moving Beyond Conflict
- Knowing why relationship conflict and content conflict should be handled differently
- Turning potential disagreements into discussion by applying the Model to Disagree
- Identifying and practicing assertiveness tools and strategies
- Detoxifying emotional statements and devising alternative ways to express the message
Part 6: Dealing with Difficult Behavior
- Explaining the difference between difficult people and difficult behavior
- Understanding how to handle passive behavior
- Developing a strategy for handling passive or aggressive behavior
Part 7: Mapping the Conflict
- Mapping a conflict using a 5-step approach
- Exploring a given conflict from various "viewing points"
- Separating interests from positions in a specific conflict
- Selecting a conflict strategy appropriate to addressing a specific goal
- Implementing a chosen conflict strategy
Part 8: Thunderstorms
- Applying skills to address emotionally tense conflicts (called Thunderstorms)
- Using skills to address an intra-group conflict case study
- Planning for future development to effectively respond to conflict
- Who should attend
Business professionals who want to expand their conflict management skills, understand their own emotions and behaviors when addressing conflict, and find productive ways to manage conflict.
- Bonus Materials