Name: Kris Ashton
Primary Expertise: Business Analysis, Enterprise Analysis, Solution Architecture, Business Process Modeling
BS, Biology and Chemistry, Metropolitan State College of Denver. CBAP® from the IIBA, CSM (Certified ScrumMaster) from the Scrum Alliance, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, Microsoft Certified Trainer, and Certified Technical Trainer, ICP, ICP-BVA
Notable Clients & Employers:
- WE Energy
- Centerpoint Energy
- Excel Energy
- AG Edwards (later Wells Fargo)
Kris Ashton is one of the most accomplished and experienced experts on our faculty. An expert business analyst and a veteran technology architect, her career spans many years as a consultant, an instructor, and a business analysis course developer. She developed a large amount of the business analysis curriculum and has extensive experience as a consultant for many major Fortune clients. As a seasoned expert in business analysis and technology solutions, Kris has developed many of the industry-standard business analysis courses.
Kris credits the beginning of her success as a business analyst and systems team leader to her undergraduate science degree. This experience taught her to apply rigorous analysis to problems. She later transitioned into an IT role at the US Geological Survey, where she began her technical years managing databases and providing technical support. In the eighties, she held a number of roles requiring her to design solutions coordinating IT assets into responses to business needs. Her work became continually oriented more and more toward analyzing requirements and orchestrating technology teams in response. She had become an early business analyst before the title existed. By the time Business Analysis was solidifying as a profession across most industries, Kris was developing a standards-based BA curriculum and teaching BA teams in some of the largest enterprises in the US.
As a Business Analysis Expert and Professional Team Instructor:
Kris’ rich experience supports her unique talent for developing smart solutions that produce strong results for customers and clients. She helps clients incorporate technology, process and people into their project success strategies. She was an instrumental systems consultant for a number or large banks as software and IT disrupted financial operations during the eighties and nineties. She has also done extensive work with energy and utility companies, retail, and many others.
Kris helps enterprise teams and their organizations build and solidify business processes that work for their needs. She has the ability to help teams understand what is relevant and sustainable in their situation, and respond with a learning experience that delivers targeted, useful knowledge that provides lasting value to the business – all in alignment with the IIBA’s proven and rigorous standards.
As an advocate for the business, Kris is skilled in designing, developing and providing requirements engineering consulting and training services to a variety of organizations in all business sectors. She is proficient in providing technology-based business solutions to executives, managers, end-users and IT professionals by enabling them to integrate appropriate (often state-of-the-art) technologies, tools and techniques into their business environments. She has extensive experience with hardware, software, operating systems and networks, and can draw from a deep base of technological understanding. Combined with her superior speaking, writing, consulting and teaching skills, she is a consummate professional business instructor. Clients who benefit from Kris as an instructor or one of the courses she has developed over the years will not be disappointed in the result.
- Kris has taught numerous business analysis courses to Fortune clients on a program basis. Student feedback is among the highest of any instructor, and she is in the “top five” instructors for the number of courses taught to Fortune clients
- With more than 10 years as a business analysis consultant, Kris independently developed and offered many business analysis courses and consulting to large clients
- Kris belongs to the Agile Alliance, Scrum Alliance, IIBA (International Institute of Business Analysis) and Agile Denver
- At the Public Service Company of Colorado (now Excel Energy) Kris provided extensive training and support for all implemented solutions and was a liaison between business clients and IT implementation team. She was also a member of their Technical Advisory Group, responsible for analysis of technology requirements for new corporate headquarters
- An early developer of business analysis training in the late eighties/early nineties, Kris designed several business analysis courses, including FastStart in Business Systems Analysis, Mastering the Requirements Process and Business Analysis Simulation
- For ten years, Kris was a senior Instructor for Systemation, where she taught object-oriented analysis and design and project management for information systems
- Kris built a successful business analysis training and consulting firm focused on excellence in requirements engineering. Her practice emphasized best practices for analyzing processes and systems to identify improvement opportunities, elicit solution requirements, and specify solutions.
- Kris has designed and taught many practical, realistic approaches through requirements workshops and engaging classroom and web-based sessions.
- Business Analysis
- Requirements Development
- JAD Facilitation
- Enterprise Analysis
- Business and Process Modeling
- Process & Data Modeling